Andong Jjimdak or Andong Chicken braised with vegetables, is a traditional local dish from Andong region, Gyeongsangbuk province, South Korea. Braised chicken dish is not difficult but elaborate, many spices are needed adding harmoniously. In return, after a long time of fitting, there will be a soft, juicy and delicious chicken braised with tough chewy fiber, soft and ripe vegetables. The secret of a successful braised dish s is a good pot. If there’s no soild pot, braise it with a good non-stick pot, which can hold heat evenly.
– 1kg of chicken thighs, cut into large pieces.
– 100g Korean cellophane noodle.
– 300ml water.
– 100ml Korean soy sauce (can be replaced with 60ml common soy sauce)
– 3-4 tbsp brown sugar spice depending on taste
– 2 tsp salt or 2 tbsp Korean chicken spice powder
– 1 tsp black pepper
– 2 tbsp sesame oil
– 60ml mirin / sochu
– 2 tbsp crushed garlic
– 1 tbsp ginger juice.
– 2 tbsp Korean red chili powder (non-spicy)
– 1 Korean dried chilli (red, big), removed seeds and cut into pieces
– 500g potato
– 1 carrot
– ½ sliced onions
– 1 leek.
– Marinate the chicken with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes, soak it well. Gently squeeze the salt into the chicken without peeling the skin.
– Soak the noodle in warm water at about 50 degrees C.
– Heat up the non-stick pot. Sauté chicken in the pot over fire and let all the fat and excess water get out, the chicken when stewed will not get too greasy and absorb more spices. Do not add cooking oil in this step if you use a good non-stick pot. Sauté until getting slightly bumped skin, firm and fragrant.
– Pick up the chicken, remove the filtered fat, put the chicken and potatoes back into the pot, pour the water.
– Mix all ingredients in the sauce, stir to dissolve sugar and pour into chicken pot, put on the lid. Boil until the water boils, then reduce the fire to a small amount, continue for 15 minutes.
– Keep the white tip of the leek, add the leek, carrots, onions, and braise for 10 minutes.
– After about 25 minutes, when you see the braised water thicken, try to see whether the potatoes are soft and cooked, the chicken is tender and soaked in spices, then cut the green part of the leek, put it in the pot with cellophane noodle. Gently stir for the noodle to sink to the bottom, braise for another 5 minutes to let the cellophane noodle soak with spices.
– This dish is hot, sprinkled with golden white sesame seeds and pepper on top is very delicious. You will never feel bored of eating this.