Linzer cookies are a kind of cookies originating from Linzertorte – this is a very famous tart from Linz, Austria. Linzertorte tart cake is characterized by a crispy, spongy cake base, thanks to its high butter content and almond flour added to the dough. In addition, this crust is very fragrant with cinnamon flavored with the gentle aroma of yellow lemon peel.
225g light butter, soft
150g Icing sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp water vanilla
150g almond flour
450g cake flour
2 tsp cinnamon powder (or 10g)
1 tbsp pure lemon peel
- Add butter, sugar, salt to the mixing bowl, use a high-speed beating machine until the mixture is light (about 3-5 minutes).
- Put each egg in, use a beating machine. Add water vanilla, beat evenly.
- Mix together almond flour, wheat flour, cinnamon powder, and lemon zest, then put in the butter mixture, type low speed for the flour mixture to mix together.
- Spread a piece of food nylon under the table. Place the dough and cover another layer of nylon on the dough, thin and evenly rolled, about 3mm thick. You can break the dough into 3 parts for easy manipulation and don’t have to roll a piece of dough too wide and you will also easily control the thickness of the dough.
- Use cookie cutters to cut shapes. You need to cut the number of pieces with the same shape, then take half of the pieces to make the cake below, and half of the pieces will “chisel” add 1 hole in the middle with smaller cuts and set on the other piece. After you cut the picture, lift the whole piece of nylon lining powder into the freezer, let it take about 1-2 minutes to remove it, then it is easy to lift the dough easily.
- Put the pieces on the baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Turn on the oven at 180 degrees C.
- At this point you will add jam to the “hole” of each cookie. This time I use fragrant jam and blueberry jam. You should not choose too pure and liquid jam, when baking, it will make the water soaked into the cake so that the cake is not crunchy. The jam I used still has the “corpses” of fruit and it’s quite thick.
- Place the tray in the center of the oven. (or slightly lower position). Bake for about 20 minutes, until you see the light brown cake surface.
- Let the cake cool down and place in a sealed container.
– This kind of cookies has jam, so it won’t last long, so you should eat it within 7 days.
– If you prefer to decorate the cake, you can sprinkle an icing sugar over the cookies
– If you do not have almond flour, you can replace it with wheat flour, however, the cake will reduce the crispness and spice up. The cake will still be good, guaranteed, but it is best to have almond powder. The cake will be extremely standard and also increase the nutrition even more.